Posted by : lara 12.25.2009

Prosperity Square Macro

my new project is making nine feng shui squares.
feng shui is kind of like karma to me, not sure i believe in it, but hey, it can't hurt.
so, with the aid of a book a friend gave me years ago and a desire to transform the space i've been living in for 3 years hoping it will help turn my life around, i'm studying up on the practice.

a little background on feng shui - you divide your living space up into 9 areas that are called "guas" and each gua represents an aspect of life. it is believed that each gua has an energy that can affect the area of life it corresponds to in a positive or negative way. One way to control the energy and make it positive is using material items.

What i like about this book my friend gave me is it's not only kind of written for "dummies" but for people who don't have a lot of patience and maybe a hint of attention deficit, like myself.

The first piece I've made is for the prosperity corner of my house - which is the farthest left and back corner from my front door - my bedroom, actually. I've been having so many money issues, as well as the feeling of not having the abundance of anything, i thought this might be a good place to start.

So, the things that are said to cause positive energy in this corner are the colors purple, green, red and gold. also things that remind me of abundance, moving water, moving objects and round leaved plants. Also the #8 is somehow associated with this corner.

Here's the piece I came up with encompassing these things and that i have placed in this corner:

Prosperity Square

The canvas is a wood block - i trash picked, erm, repurposed, 9 square pieces of wood awhile ago - i thought it might be a bit fortuitous that i took exactly 9 pieces (even though there was a mound of a whole lot more) not knowing what i would do with them.

I put down some purple duck tape and painted over that with purple acrylic paint as the background then collaged bits of paper (8 pieces of two different patterns) and even a piece of monopoly money :)

The "frame" material comes from gauche alchemy - the red matte is from a new kit being released shortly and the gold is punch waste. I adhered them with nails which adds a nice little 3D effect :) There are 4 strips of each, making the frame out of 8 pieces total (get it?).

The sun is a pin i suspended on the ribbon so it can move around if i want it to.

2 Responses so far.

  1. This is a Beautiful piece of work keep it up.

  2. lara says:

    thanks for the comment! i hope to keep it up ... and hope that it also helps move some much needed energy around!

Blog Archive

- Copyright © lara - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -