Posted by : lara 2.18.2010

hope - art journal

Here is art journal page for the word Hope as prompted from Year in the Life of an Art Journal blog.

I discovered this pretty cool effect completely by accident!
I was just trying to do a Rorschach type thing with acrylic paint - smooshing dollaps between the two pages to stimulate my creative juices which have been stagnant.

Hope Art Journal Macro 2

I then used a paper towel and lightly brushed over black gesso i just bought for the first time so it highlighted the wrinkles from the smooshed paint!
Hope Art Journal Macro 1

The Hope word is a stencil i made from my cricut spray painted with plain cheapy white spray paint i still can smell.

9 Responses so far.

  1. Anonymous says:

    You know I love this! :D

    You were my inspiration today. Done with the page, but waiting just in case - so I don't ruin my scanner.

  2. Carmen says:

    Oh wow. It's gorgeous. Again. To simply say I love your pages is somewhat of an understatement Lara but I don't know how else to say it.

  3. Thanks for clearing this up Lara! What a great found technique, they are always the most exciting! :o)

  4. I.
    LOVE.
    THIS.
    I'm totally trying that technique!! Have I told you lately how hard you ROCK?

  5. April says:

    I love this too. I especially love how you have your picture. Hope and I aren't the best of friends right now. I've been reading blogs this morning to see if I can get inspired to create something at a crop I'm attending tonight. You have just inspired me to try an art journal about Hope. Nothing major, maybe just a few pages. I need this for the therapy of it. Thanks Lara.

  6. gayle says:

    Fantastic paint effect! Are you loving the black gesso? :)

  7. Brian K says:

    Oh man! I wish there was a bit more detail in how you did this technique! it is totally awesome and would be excelent for a prompt we are doing for a journaling group we are doing this week on roots!

  8. lara says:

    WOWOWOWOW thanks for all the love everybody!!!!!!

    Margrethe - did you finish your painty page? I'd love to see it - sometimes it's excruciating waiting for paint to dry!

    Carmen - thank you for the compliment - i know exactly what you mean :)

    Paula - playing is fun! I think i make my best pages when i'm uninhibitedly throwing paint around!

    Rachel - right back atcha girl xoxo

    April - well said - i have a tenuous relationship with Hope as well. Good thing recognizing that the perfect therapy can be a nothing fancy art page - just smooshing this paint felt pretty darn good!

    Gayle - this is the first time i've used the black gesso, and yes i did like that it's not as thick as my black acrylic paint. I can't wait to experiment more.

    Brian - perhaps i'll try to make a step by step tutorial tonight with photos - would that work for you or is the prompt already done? It's simple but time consuming...

    AGAIN - THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND KINDNESS - YOUR COMMENTS ALWAYS BRIGHTEN MY DAYS!!!!

  9. Brian K says:

    lara that would be freakin' awesome! I am sure everyone else would really love to know as well! Thank you! Your so awesome! Wishing you the best!

Blog Archive

- Copyright © lara - Skyblue - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -